About Me

My photo
I'm the author of four books: Warrior SOS, The Work of Death, Together Forever, and Leaders Wanted. I'm in the doc film Please Remove Your Shoes. I've blogged for The Washington Times, and I write for Guns.com. I've worked for the high-profile U.S.-led Roadmap to Mideast Peace in Israel and Palestine. I've also worked as a SWAT team leader, a Federal Air Marshal and a sole-source training instructor on a classified contract with a U.S. government customer. My master's degree is in Military Studies and terrorism. I'm a former noncommissioned and commissioned Army officer, with service in Iraq. I've been Scuba diving and skydiving; I have trained with members of the U.S. Olympic Ski Team, and I'm an FBI-trained crisis negotiator. My interests lie in helping others and in strengthening America through inspiring moral courage, government fiscal responsibility and accountability, and maintaining principles that have made--and will continue to make--the United States of America a blessed and prosperous country. I'm a father of six, a husband, and a police officer. I reside in Utah, and I'm a Mormon. See also https://jeffreydenning.wordpress.com.

September 28, 2012

Man Down!


In Memoriam literally means "in memory of." It was made famous by the literary genius of the great Alfred Lord Tennyson, who wrote a poem titled In Memoriam.

Lord Tennyson originally thought to name it "The Way of the Soul." His Christian beliefs combined with death and loss of a dear friend (not a spouse) tried his soul and wounded his heart. He eloquently shared the finest details of his unsullied mind and heart. His words have great meaning to the warrior.

I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Or consider these words. The warrior who's comrades die and his widow knows them well.

So runs my dream, but what am I?
An infant crying in the night
An infant crying for the light
And with no language but a cry.

And later on in another part of the poem, Tennyson writes of faith and the challenge of believing in God. He writes:

If e'r when faith had fallen asleep,
I hear a voice 'believe no more'
And heard an ever-breaking shore
That tumbled in the Godless deep;

A warmth within the breast would melt
The freezing reason's colder part,
And like a man in wrath the heart
Stood up and answer'd 'I'd have felt.'

No, like a child in doubt and fear:
But that blind clamour made me wise;
Then was I as a child that cries, 
But, crying knows his father near;

I think I've experienced that very same thing while in Iraq. I wrote about it here:
http://www.mormon.org/me/2GXB/JeffreyDenning 

A lot of negative feelings are magnified during tragedies and thereafter. Anger, hurt, grief. But there is hope in tomorrow. There is hope in the glorious resurrection, and in the faith and knowledge that life goes on after death.

"For his anger endureth but a moment... weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning" (Psalms 30:5).


To read amazing interviews with warriors, check out Warrior SOS: Interviews, Insights and Inspiration, the book on Amazon.com. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D3WO7VK

No comments:

Post a Comment